If you remember an earlier post, I had built a little program called Sputnik to test mesh streaming over HTTP. Over the weekend I had some time and made it stream multiple levels. Here you can see some results. Please be forgiving, I did not spend any time on the texturing, lighting or anything but streaming.
LOD transitions are smoothed now whenever possible. I do it by gradually blending the changes into the scene. There are a couple of bugs in the normals which make popping more noticeable than what it should.
I capped download speed at 200 KBytes per second. Often the downloading lags behind the camera position. The scene shows with less resolution until the download catches up. I think 200 KBytes per second may not do it once I add large trees and buildings. I will also reduce the amount of mesh simplification, the rock profiles are too straight on this one.